snowsport travel insurance
Athlete and Leisure Travel Insurance Supporting British Snowsports
If you are a member of GB Snowsport, Snowsport England and Snowsport Scotland you will automatically benefit from Public Liability cover via your affiliation, which covers you anywhere in the world for activities recognised/approved by each respective organisation.
Please note that the Public Liability insurance received via your affiliation does not cover any insurances that link to a Travel insurance policy therefore if you require insurance for cancellation of flights, emergency medical expenses, medical evacuation, repatriation, loss of damage to ski equipment and baggage etc. this can now be obtained via Bluefin Sport.
Insuring your Snowsports travel needs
Bluefin Sport, our Insurance Broker, has teamed up with Jackson Lee Underwriting to provide you with a quick and easy way to obtain a quotation and purchase online. There are two types of policy available:
- Sports Travel + Insurance - provides cover for sports individuals, which includes winter sports and importantly cover whilst competing; both are often excluded from a standard travel policy.
- Holiday Travel Insurance - provides cover for those unexpected events that could occur before a holiday, whilst travelling, or whilst on holiday e.g. cancelling or cutting short a holiday or needing medical treatment. You can choose to purchase a single trip policy to cover one holiday only or an annual multi-trip policy to cover several individual holidays.
COVID-19 cover included as standard.
- Cancellation if the insured, member of the household, travelling companion or friend they are staying with are diagnosed with Covid-19 within 14 days prior to departure date.
- Curtailment due to death of a close relative.
- Medical Expenses including additional accommodation costs (room only) and repatriation back to the UK.
OPTIONAL ENHANCED COVID-19 COVER EXTENSION FOR VACCINATED INDIVIDUALS
- Cover for travel within Europe to destinations where the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office advice against all but essential travel solely due to assessment of Covid-19 risk.
- Cancellation cover if contacted by UK Test & Trace and told to self-isolate and this prevents the insured from starting their trip.
More information relating to the Enhanced Covid-19 Cover extension and some example scenarios can be found here.
Please read before you obtain a quote through the Sports Travel + Policy
To be covered for winter sports it is important to select the ‘Winter Sports Extension’ when obtaining a quote under the Sports Travel + Product.
There are 4 categories to choose from at quotation stage, these are:
- Category 0 – recreational snowsports activity only (this does NOT cover participation in competition or training).
- Category 1 - recreational snowsports activity + additional activities noted below.
- Category 2 – this cover is for coaches, instructors, leaders and individuals who wish to train or compete.
- Category 3 – widest list of activities.
Recreational snowsports activity only:
- Cross country skiing on recognised paths.
- Husky sledging as a passenger booked with a licenced operator.
- Skiing/snowboarding (including off piste in areas considered safe by the resort management or local ski school) but excluding ski touring.
- Ski Boarding.
- Sleigh riding with a licenced operator.
- Snowmobiling with a licenced operator.
- Snowshoeing in areas considered safe by the ski resort management or local ski school.
- Telemark Skiing in areas considered safe by the ski resort management or local ski school.
Please note recreational winter sport does NOT cover participation in competition or training.
All of the activities listed under Category 0, with the addition of:
- Biathlon (winter).
- Cross Country Skiing (competition).
- Mono Skiing (on snow).
All of the activities listed under Category 0 and Category 1, with the addition of:
- Competitive Skiing (excluding freestyle and jumping)
- Ski Racing (excluding freestyle and jumping)
- Competitive Snowboarding (excluding freestyle and jumping)
- Any Skiing & Snowboard training, in preparation for competition (excluding freestyle and jumping)
All of the activities listed under Category 0, Category 1 and Category 2, with the addition of:
- Heli-skiing (with a licenced operator and local guide).
- Ski Touring (A licenced guide must be used that knows the terrain well, they must be licensed and hold appropriate qualifications, the guides instructions must be followed at all times). Please note Ski Touring includes Snowboard touring/split boarding as well.
- Ski/Snowboarding half pipe/slope style (training or organised competition with a licensed organisation).
Ski and Snowboard Cross can be considered on referral to Bluefin Sports for single trip policies only.
Referrals and quotations that fall outside the above criteria
If you are involved in activities that fall within the referral criteria you should email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Full name.
- Activities you require cover for.
- Experience you have in relation to the activities you require cover for.
- Type of policy you require (annual/single trip).
- Do you have any pre-existing medical conditions? (If yes – please provide further detail).
You may also need to refer to us if :
- You exceed the upper age limit of 65.
- A single trip will exceed the maximum of 60 days.
Insurers can provide cover for all of the above, subject to referral, please speak to Bluefin Sport for a bespoke quote – 0345 872 5060.
Reasons to use Jackson Lee Underwriting
- Specialists in Travel Insurance.
- Appointed by BIBA (British Insurance Brokers Association) as their approved scheme provider for Holiday and Sports Travel Insurance.
Pre-existing medical conditions
If you require Travel Insurance and you or any person covered under the same policy has a Pre-existing medical condition, it is possible you may fall into one of the following categories:
- You have been refused travel insurance because of a medical condition.
- An existing policy has been cancelled or amended because of a medical condition.
- You have been offered insurance, but your medical condition has been excluded.
- You have been offered insurance with a high additional premium because of your medical condition.
Please contact us in the first instance to discuss your requirements. If in any event we are unable to assist you may wish to consider specialist Travel Insurance firms that may be able to assist you.
About this directory: They can't provide quotes - but they can direct you to specialist firms that can. All firms are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and have been through a rigorous selection process to prove their specialism.The link provided is an external link to a publicly available directory that only lists firms that provide, or arrange, travel insurance policies that cover more serious medical conditions.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION WHEN OBTAINING A QUOTE
- To be covered for winter sports it is important to select the ‘Winter Sports Extension’ when obtaining a quote under the Sports Travel + Product.
Get a Sports Travel + Quote
This Travel Insurance product is facilitated by a third party website. Quotations offered by an external website are on a non-advised basis and their terms and conditions of sale should be checked and agreed to before proceeding to purchase cover and to ensure the product meets your needs.
NOTE: When you select 'GET A QUOTE' you will be redirected to another website.
IMPORTANT: To be covered for winter sports you must select the 'Winter Sports Extension' option box.
Get a Holiday Travel Quote
This Travel Insurance product is facilitated by a third party website. Quotations offered by an external website are on a non-advised basis and their terms and conditions of sale should be checked and agreed to before proceeding to purchase cover and to ensure the product meets your needs.NOTE: When you select 'GET A QUOTE' you will be redirected to another website.