National council for metal detecting insurance zone


Marsh | Bluefin Sport are the appointed insurance broker to the National Council for Metal Detecting (NCMD). This web page sets out details of the insurance provided as part of your membership, how to report an incident and some frequently asked questions.

Who is covered?

This cover applies only to activities authorised or recognised by the NCMD. The policy covers:

  • Clubs.
  • Instructors and Coaches
  • Individual members.
  • Leaders.
  • Volunteers.

Insurance applies during normal hobby metal detecting, official, recognised and approved training, competitions and related events of the NCMD.

What insurance do you get as part of your membership?

As part of your membership with NCMD you automatically receive the benefit of the Combined Liability insurance. To understand what these covers are and to see the main terms and conditions that apply please make sure you refer to the policy summary and policy wording which can be found in the downloads section below.

The annual policies run from 1st April 2022 to 31st March 2023

Policy limits are as follows:

  • Public Liability - cover for your legal liability of up to £10,000,000.
  • Professional Indemnity - cover for the club's or instructors legal liability of up to £10,000,000.
  • Directors and Officers – cover for club committee members of up to £5,000,000.
  • Employers Liability – cover for clubs in respect of claims for injuries made by employees or volunteers, up to £10,000,000.
Public/products liability 
Professional Indemnity
Employers Liability
Directors and Officers

£10,000,000 Public/product liability

Public liability insurance provides protection against legal liability for bodily injury to third parties and damage to third party property.

Products liability insurance provides protection against legal liability to pay compensation including legal costs for death or bodily injury, or damage to third party property arising from products supplied.

£10,000,000 Professional Indemnity

Cover to protect an NCMD affiliated clubs, instructors or coaches for claims made against them which allege that a third party has suffered an injury or financial loss caused by negligent acts, errors or omissions during coaching activities.

£10,000,000 Employers Liability

Protection against legal liability in respect of claims made for injuries to any volunteer or employee of the member club.

£5,000,000 Directors and Officers

Protection for committee members and club officers against claims arising from their decision or actions whilst managing the organisation.

Reporting an incident

Please follow these simple steps to making a claim:

  • All incidents that could give rise to a claim must be reported at your earliest opportunity to Bluefin Sport on 0345 872 5060 or email sport@bluefinsport.co.uk
  • Any writ or summons must be forwarded on immediately following receipt.
  • You should not admit liability under any circumstances as the insurers will respond to all allegations on your behalf.


Are we required to complete risk assessments for all club activities?

It is essential that you undertake risk assessments for the activities of your club to support you in your risk management. You and your club owe a duty of care to those around you.

If an allegation for negligence is made against you or your club the risk assessments will be needed to evidence what you have reasonably been able to do to prevent an incident occurring.

As a club officer, could I be financially liable for a loss that my club may incur?

If the club is unincorporated, the officer (and its members) could be liable for any and all financial losses incurred by the club. The Directors and Officers insurance provided by the NCMD is in place to support you and your club for claims in respect of allegations which may come against the officer whilst undertaking their role.

If the club is incorporated the directors may still find themselves personally liable and therefore Directors & Officers Insurance is essential.

Please note this is a different type of cover to Professional Liability, which is a form of liability insurance which helps protect professional advice given by your club this is also known as errors and omissions cover.

As a Coach what insurance do I receive as part of NCMD membership?

You receive Public Liability up to £10,000,000 and Professional Indemnity (coaching and tuition cover) up to £10,000,000.

Is our club covered if we go abroad?

Liability cover is provided for trips abroad that are authorised by NCMD. The membership insurance does not include Travel Insurance, which can be obtained from Marsh | Bluefin Sport.

How is Employers' Liability different to Public Liability?

Employers’ Liability protects the employer in the event of an injury to an employee, for which the employer is liable.

Employers’ Liability could apply to clubs who employ coaches or volunteers to work on their behalf.

Public Liability protects a club/member/volunteer if another member, or a member of the public, sues them for injury or damage caused.

Do we have insurance if our club employees/volunteers are injured?

Yes, Clubs are provided with Employers Liability insurance, with a Limit of Indemnity of £10,000,000.

What do I do in the event of our club becoming aware of a Liability incident?

If there are verbal or written allegations made against your club, you should record the information and notify Marsh | Bluefin Sport of the incident at your earliest opportunity. Please contact 0345 872 5060 or email sport@bluefinsport.co.uk

In NO circumstances should you admit liability or agree to pay for any damage caused as this may prejudice the position of Insurers and COULD result in the withdrawal of any indemnity.

Please note this is a Liability policy where Insurers decide if negligence attaches to you, meaning any payment you make to any third parties will not necessarily be reimbursed.

Does the liability insurance cover me if a claim is made against me for injury to another person or damage to someone's property?

Yes, the public liability insurance provided will defend your position, should you be sued for injury to a third party or damage to a third parties property.

Please note any claims relating to deliberate or criminal acts are excluded.

What information do I need to record when an accident occurs?

We recommend that a designated person within your club is made responsible to record any reportable accident/incident. Records must be kept for at least 6 years, and longer where it involves a person under the age of 18 years. Names and addresses of any possible witnesses should also be recorded. Please ensure your club has an accident book to record all such information.

In respect of Safeguarding allegations records should be kept indefinitely.

If I have any further queries or wish to make a claim, who do I contact?

If your query relates to the insurance policy please contact our insurance broker, Marsh | Bluefin Sport on either 0345 872 5060, or by email at sport@bluefinsport.co.uk