british taekwondo insurance zone
Bluefin Sport are the appointed insurance broker to British Taekwondo. This web page sets out details of the insurance provided as part of your membership, how to report an incident and some frequently asked questions.
Who is covered?
This cover applies only to activities authorised or recognised by British Taekwondo
The policy covers:
- Member Clubs, member groups, officers, officials, committee members, employees and volunteers
- Registered members
- Registered instructors, assistant instructors, emergency instructors
- Judges, National & International Referees
- New participants (2 taster sessions are permitted only)
- British Taekwondo events and sanctioned club events
What insurance do you get as part of your membership?
- Membership of British Taekwondo is granted under the provisions laid down by the Articles of the Association to clubs and members who have paid their annual subscription and registered.
- British Taekwondo requires all members to have a current membership to train, grade and compete.
- Members are not insured to participate in any activities provided by non-British Taekwondo organisations in the UK.
The annual policies run from 1st April 2020 to 31st March 2021.
The policies' limits are as follows:
- Public/Products Liability - cover for your legal liability of up to £10,000,000
- Professional Indemnity - cover for the club's or instructors legal liability of up to £10,000,000
- Directors & Officers – cover for club committee members of up to £5,000,000
- Employers Liability – cover for clubs in respect of claims for injuries made by employees or volunteers, up to £10,000,000
- Personal Accident - cover for accidental bodily injury - up to £65,000
Public liability insurance provides protection against legal liability for bodily injury to third parties and damage to third party property.
Products liability insurance provides protection against legal liability to pay compensation including legal costs for death or bodily injury, or damage to third party property arising from products supplied
Protection against legal liability in respect of claims made for injuries to any volunteer or employee of the member club.
If you become injured whilst participating in a British Taekwondo activity, you can incur some significant financial losses as a result. Personal accident insurance can help offset some of these unexpected expenses. This insurance can pay out a set amount if someone is injured in an accident and the benefit can be a lump sum or a weekly amount.
Who is covered and when?
- Any registered member or instructor of British Taekwondo up to the age of 75 years old
Whilst participating in any authorised activity of British Taekwondo anywhere in the world including direct travel to and from any authorised activity of the Insured within Britain. If you are travelling to and from your club or a sanctioned event and are injured the Personal Accident cover is in place during ‘travel’ so if you are injured please contact the insurer to determine whether a claim can be submitted.
What are the benefits?
Please note that the policy is not designed to replace your usual income in the event you are unable to work following an accident.
Please see the policy wording for full details of all the policy exclusions.
Cover to protect a British Taekwondo registered club or instructor for claims made against them which allege that a third party has suffered an injury or financial loss caused by negligent acts, errors or omissions during coaching activities
Protection for committee members and club officers against claims arising from their decision or actions whilst managing the organisation.
How to report an incident
It is important that all incidents that may give rise to a claim, however minor, are reported to British Taekwondo as soon as possible after the event.
Tel: 0161 697 5330
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, an overview of the principal exclusions is as follows:
- Participant to Participant claims.
- £200 Excess.
- Loss or damage to property in your custody or control (other than damage to property comprising premises leased or rented by you).
- Fines, liquidated damages or penalties.
- Products manufactured.
- Contractual liability.
- Gradual pollution or contamination.
- Criminal Acts / Acts with an intention to cause harm.
- Incidents known to you but not reported to the Insurers.
- Incidents prior to your joining British Taekwondo,
- Incidents reported after expiry of your British Taekwondo membership.
Liability cover is provided for trips abroad that are pre-authorised by British Taekwondo.
The membership insurance does not include Travel Insurance.
Employers’ Liability protects the employer in the event of an injury to an employee, for which the employer is liable.
Employers’ Liability could apply to clubs who employ coaches or volunteers to work on their behalf.
Public Liability protects a club/member/volunteer if another member, or a member of the public, sues them for injury or damage caused.
This provides a “no fault” compensation for members who are injured whilst participating in authorised/organised activities.
Whilst participating in any authorised activity of British Taekwondo anywhere in the world including direct travel to and from any authorised activity of the Insured within Britain. If you are travelling to and from your club or a sanctioned event and are injured the Personal Accident cover is in place during ‘travel’ so if you are injured you may well be able to make a claim.
The Personal Accident policy benefits are payable on a no fault basis.
Yes, Insurers advice which should be followed is :
Remote coaching/instruction (live or pre-recorded)
In respect of any coaching or instruction that is undertaken remotely, it is strongly recommended that the Insured should:
1. at the commencement of the session, advise participants:
a) that by participating they are doing so at their own risk;
b) a suitable, non-slip floor space is required and any potential obstructions in the vicinity are removed before they participate;
c) to avoid activities if they have, or suspect they may have any current health concerns, injuries, aches and pains;
d) avoid the use of blades, weapons or sharp instruments of any description;
e) avoid physical contact with other participants and where appropriate, adhere to social distancing guidelines;
2. ensure that sessions are conducted for the benefit of existing members/participants/contacts only who have demonstrated sufficient suitability to participate;
3. continue to only instruct activities in which you are qualified to do so;
4. record the session. Retaining the recording for a period of up to thirty-six (36) months may assist in any claim made against you;
In the event of an accident please contact British Taekwondo on 0161 697 5330 or email@example.com. In NO circumstances should you admit liability or agree to pay for any damage caused as this may prejudice the Insurers position and could result in the withdrawal of any indemnity.
You should report incidents that may potentially form part of policy cover regardless of whether you think you are liable.
- A fatal accident / injury requiring referral to hospital, either immediately or at a later time / allegations of Libel and Slander / Allegations of professional negligence or faulty advice/ any investigation under child protection / Club disputes involving disciplinary action.
No admission, offer, promise, payment or indemnity shall be made or given by or on behalf of the Insured without the written consent of Insurers.
Please complete the accident report form which can be found here.
Looking for building or contents insurance for your club?
Every sports club has specific needs, which means that a standard insurance policy may not fit everyone. To make sure you are appropriately covered, our myClubinsurance policy can be built around your particular needs. Whether you require stand-alone liability cover or full buildings and contents protection, the policy can be adapted to suit.